How Fire Damage Can Lead to Water Damage | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
When the first responders finish their job, ours begins.
When a fire occurs, many are concerned with the potential of catastrophic fire damage. But did you know that water damage can occur as a result of fire damage?
- Fire damages the integrity of a building's electrical system, resulting in leaks or ruptured pipes.
- A fire will remove most or all insulation from walls which in turn causes condensation on interior surfaces like windows and ceilings. Condensation on windows and ceilings may drip down onto furniture and floors.
- Firefighting efforts can cause water damage to a structure during the firefighting process. Even if fire sprinkler systems are working correctly, they are designed to extinguish a fire - not to prevent water from entering your home.
At SERVPRO, we work diligently to help prevent water damage and to respond quickly when it occurs. We offer premier water damage fire cleanup and fire restoration services in the region. Contact SERVPRO of Park la Brea today to learn more. Servicing all of Los Angeles, CA and more.
Follow These Tips to Prevent a Kitchen Fire Catastrophe | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Follow These Tips to Prevent a Kitchen Fire Catastrophe
Kitchen fires can be a common and scary reality for many, and they often occur unexpectedly and spread rapidly.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to over 170,000 fires each year that involve cooking equipment, including ovens, stoves, grills, and barbecues. Prevent the unthinkable with these tips:
- Make sure your appliances are in good working order. This includes ovens, burners, and any other kitchen areas.
- Never leave cooking food unattended. If you do, it could lead to the fire spreading or getting out of your control before you notice and turn it off.
- Make sure kitchen elements are turned off if you need to leave a room for any reason, even if it's only for a few moments.
- Never throw water on a grease fire. This will only spread the flames and make them worse!
- Have a fire escape plan in place, especially if you have children or pets. With any fire, it's important to be able to get out of the house safely and quickly.
If you experience a kitchen fire and need water or fire damage cleanup services, contact the team at SERVPRO today. We will help you restore your home with the fire damage and water cleanup services you can trust.
The Top Signs of Water Damage | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Water damage can be a significant issue for homeowners. Unfortunately, the average homeowner may not know that water damage is occurring until it's too late. Without water mitigation, you can end up with severe problems like mold growth or structural issues.
Wondering if you have potential water damage? Here are just a few of the most common signs that you may need expert water clean up services:
- A Mold or Mildew Smell
- Staining on Walls or Ceiling
- Basement Flooding
- Water Pooling Around Foundation
- Wet Carpet or Flooring
- Water Damage on Foundation or Ground
- Foul-smelling Odor – Coming from Drain or Sump Pump
If you notice any of the above signs of water damage, contact the experts at SERVPRO immediately. With the help of proactive water mitigation efforts, you can avoid costly problems in the future. The SERVPRO team is here 24/7 to help you with any water-related emergency that may arise. From flooded basements to water damage ceiling issues, our crew is ready for anything.
The Steps of Water Damage Restoration | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
The water damage here is obvious but can you spot it in your home?
We all know that water damage is a nightmare, but it's also one of the most common home-related disasters. Water damage is often caused by burst pipes, overflowing toilets, and other plumbing problems. No matter the cause, water damage can lead to mold, mildew, and costly repairs to your home.
If you are in need of water removal or restoration, here are the steps you should take immediately:
- Shut off the water source immediately if possible
- Remove standing water and dry out wet spaces
- Purchase a dehumidifier for the damaged area
- Remove or repair broken windows, walls, and furniture to prevent mold
- Clean carpets, drapes, and upholstery
- Repair or replace damaged items and structures
- Call your insurance agent to file a damage claim
- Hire a professional water removal team to help you with the restoration process of water damage
- Set up mitigation efforts to stop future water damage issues
Don't let water damage ruin your belongings. Call the water restoration experts at SERVPRO to find out how to put an end to your water woes today!
How Does Water Damage Lead To Mold? | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Did you know how quickly water damage can turn to bacterial growth? Act quickly!
Dealing with water damage is challenging enough - it's another thing entirely to have to deal with mold as a result. Mold can be a nightmare for all involved - from your family to employees and even those who you hire for mold mitigation or removal!
Mold mitigation is one of the most complex parts of water damage cleanup to tackle because it can proliferate inside homes:
- Any water that has made its way into your home seeps behind walls and through the floorboards.
- Wherever water often collects, such as in bathrooms, mold can thrive. This is how black mold in showers becomes a common issue.
- When water sits in one place for long periods, it becomes the perfect breeding ground for mold on the surfaces.
- Wet materials release spores as they begin to break down – these spores are the beginning of mold. Mold spores are microscopic, and their size allows them to spread through your home with ease.
These four factors make it easy for water damage to lead to mold in your home, which is why you should trust SERVPRO -the leading mold killer company in the area. Contact SERVPRO today to learn more about mold mediation and water damage repair.
Toxic Mold Damage: Quick Facts Part 2 | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Part 2, how did we do? Learn anything new?
When it comes to common household nuisances, none are more concerning than mold. While mold is unpleasant to look at, it can also pose a serious risk to you and your family's health. But how do you know if those spots or smells are coming from dreaded black mold growth - or something else?
Here are some of the top signs you may have mold growing in your home and need to order mold mitigation services immediately:
- Musty odors or mildew smells
- Black spots or stains on walls, ceiling, or floor
- Water leaks or pooling water
- Cracks in paint that let moisture into the backboards
- Sagging ceilings and walls
- Rubbery, sticky substances on floors, walls, or ceilings
Mold in your home can cause health effects because it often contains bacteria and spores.
If you notice signs of mold growth in your house, you should immediately contact the team at SERVPRO to discover if mold mitigation and mold removal services are needed.
In an effort to preserve your family’s health, and the integrity of your home, consider calling the experts at SERVPRO of Park la Brea, who will conduct a free inspection and provide you with a free quote!
Toxic Mold Damage: Quick Facts Part 1 | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Did these facts surprise you?
We are all too familiar with mold growth. We have all left a loaf of bread out for too long, or have not sealed a bag of cheese well, and have spotted bacterial growth - mold. In this case, mold very quickly forms as it is provided with the resources needed to encourage its development: a source of moisture, organic material, and space to grow.
Our homes, in most cases, do not facilitate these same types of environments which allow for bacterial growth. For example, in a bathroom, while there is often an abundance of moisture, these rooms are constructed to prevent as much of that moisture from accessing organic materials, which often includes the use of tiles on walls, moisture barriers, special paints, etc. But this is not guaranteed. In fact, over the past year, about 80% of our mold mitigation losses have taken place in Bathrooms, Kitchens, and Laundry Rooms - all three areas providing the resources needed for bacterial growth.
If you spot mold in your home, or have been presented with a new, unfamiliar odor, consider these facts:
- Bleach is NOT a mold remediation agent - Bleach is 90% water. Rather than utilizing an antimicrobial agent to eliminate the bacteria, by applying bleach, you are providing it with the resources necessary to continue growing.
- Call a testing company early on - Odors, visible growths, etc. are all starting signs of bacterial growth. While you may be able to wipe away the surface bacterial growth, unless the area is properly treated, it will continue to come back. Mold Damage causes more than ½ a trillion dollars in damage a year, catch yours early!
With hundreds of completed mold mitigation losses, SERVPRO of Park la Brea is comfortable calling ourselves professionals in the industry. Call us today for a free quote and inspection!
Water Damage Experts, Equally as Vulnerable | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Are you ready? Water damage can strike anytime.
With the amount of experience working through water damages, you would think that our crews would be less shocked if a water damage ever knocked on their door. Well, unfortunately for Monica, this was the case for her about 3 months ago.
After returning from a long day of water damage restoration, she entered her bedroom only to discover an inch of water covering her bedroom carpet flooring. While she has completed over 500 jobs in water damage restoration, she had a very normal reaction, and panicked. She began trying to move her items, including electrical items, and eventually went to determine the source of the loss. Monica, before doing these things, remember these key steps in Water Restoration:
- Safety First - The water may have penetrated an electric outlet, or an electronic item, and may hold an electrical charge. Ensure that the power is turned off, if any of these circumstances pertain to your loss.
- Removing Content - While it is good to remove items after a water damage from the area, to prevent secondary damage, ensure that you are doing so in a safe manner, and that you are not attempting to carry your 85” TV out alone.
- Determine the Source - If possible, correct the source of the loss to prevent any further flooding. Otherwise, turn off the water shut off valve to the home until professionals arrive on site.
Once these items are taken care of, it's time to call SERVPRO of Park la Brea, your local restoration team based in Los Angeles, CA. Our expert technicians will take it from there, assisting with your insurance claims
Commercial Fire Damage Restoration | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Here to help, Always.
The alarm chimes, lights begin to blink - you realize that your office building fire alarm has begun to sound. In a panic, you grab your items and head for the stairs. After safely evacuating, you quickly grab SERVPRO’s ERP manual to determine what steps you should take to keep your coworkers and building safe.
In 2019, there were just over 450,000 structure fires, which caused 2,980 civilian deaths. Let's do our part to prepare for the unexpected.
With our ERP, we are able to help you determine water shut off valves, emergency contacts, electric shut off boxes, and many other important items that can be life saving in the event of an emergency.
If your building does not have an ERP program setup with us, give us a call for a FREE ERP consultation and program establishment.
Our SERVPRO experts will create a detailed plan, which would be available to all tenants in the building, which outlines common areas and procedures in the event that a disaster or emergency strikes.
Contact us here to learn more about our Emergency Readiness Plan!
Fire Restoration Process | SERVPRO of Los Angeles
Our Fire Remediation Experts are prepared to respond after any size emergency!
While there are many different restoration providers, we all execute similar processes to accomplish the restoration task at hand. However, SERVPRO has fully mastered the process and the steps necessary to complete the work, and are confident in identifying ourselves as true experts in the industry.
- Safety Check. Before proceeding with any mitigation work, ensure that the home is safe from any falling debris, electric shock, etc.
- Determine the extent of the damage. Some losses may require a demolition of all affected materials whereas other losses may just require deodorization treatments with surface cleaning to restore the property.
- Trust the SERVPRO experts. Our highly trained technicians will pre-test materials to determine the best types of products to use, will communicate directly with your insurance, will assist with all content related work, and will assist with connecting you to trusted contractors.
All in all, you can be confident that SERVPRO has the experience, tools, resources, and expertise needed to fully restore your home or business after a fire. Proudly providing service to all of Los Angeles for over 6 years.