Don’t Let Water Damage Sink Your Finances - You and Your Insurance Coverage
As a trusted water restoration company, we here at SERVPRO of Park la Brea often get asked the question: “Will my insurance policy cover water damage?” The answer is- it depends!
It’s crucial to understand which scenarios might be covered and which ones may not be (every policy is different, so always do your research). Before you find yourself knee-deep in murky waters, let us give you some clarity on how your policies can help you!
- Burst pipes: Although a homeowner's nightmare, burst pipes are usually covered by home insurance plans. Make sure to take proper precautions to prevent problems and regularly inspect your pipes.
- Dishwasher leaks: This one can be hit or miss. A dishwasher leak could be covered, but that all depends on the maintenance that you’ve performed on it up to that point. Let’s keep those dishwashers in tip-top shape.
- Rain vs. flood damage: While the distinction can be confusing, rain damage from storms is generally covered under dwelling and personal property coverage. However, flood damage is typically excluded, necessitating a separate flood insurance policy.
- Overflowing appliances: Accidentally overflowing water from appliances is covered, but if neglect leads to the problem, this will most likely not be covered.
- Leaky pipes: A sudden and accidental pipe leak is covered, but long-term damage due to slow-leaking pipes because of lack of maintenance will almost certainly be denied.
- Water or sewer backup: This one is often not covered in a standard home insurance policy, but it is possible to add it as an optional endorsement to stay extra protected!
When it comes to filing a claim for water damage, you should document everything! Take a detailed inventory of the damages, take pictures and videos of areas that have been impacted by water damage, and get in touch with your insurance carrier. Proper documentation and preventive measures are key to not only avoiding further water damage but also ensuring a smooth claims process.
Stay informed, stay dry, and call us if you need a helping hand!